A Plan For Any Situation: Incapacity Law And Living Probate

There's more to estate planning than just protecting your assets. Your plan can also provide a process for taking care of your personal interests if you become disabled or incapacitated. Advance planning can establish decision-making financial control over your resources if you become unable to make those decisions yourself.

At Udoka Law, PC, we help Oklahoma individuals and families establish long-term care plans, drawing on our knowledge of incapacity law and estate law. There are many options, depending on your individual preferences and family situation, including:

  • Powers of attorney
  • Living trusts
  • Living wills
  • Living probate
  • Health care directives
  • HIPAA affidavits
  • Insurance policies

While it's important to protect your financial assets, it's just as important to consider your well-being as you age and your health diminishes. Through powers of attorney, living wills, living trusts, and other means, you can save your family from second-guessing your preferences.

What Is Guardianship Or Conservatorship?

If you don't have a formal plan and become incapacitated, unable to make sound decisions, or vulnerable to fraud or neglect, your family can seek legal guardianship or conservatorship. This is a legal process where a loved one seeks rights to make decisions for you, including medical and financial matters.

The Benefits Of A Revocable Living Trust

Wills take effect after your death, and guardianship takes time. A living trust is a separate legal entity from you. The trust owns your assets, and you control the trust. Should you become incapacitated, you would create a succession plan where another trustee would assume control without any legal transactions. You're allowed to determine your own definition of incapacitation, which often includes professional medical analyses as well as family and spouse recommendations.

Find The Right Choice For You

Let us help you establish your plan today. Call us in Stillwater at 405-293-8024 to schedule an appointment with a lawyer, or email your questions to us and we will get back to you. There are many ways to make sure you're protected if you become incapacitated. We'll help find the right choice for you.